Field Engineer - Telecom
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Name: Henkels & McCoy Inc
Henkels & McCoy, Inc. (H&M) is a leading utility construction firm providing critical infrastructure for the Power, Communications, Oil & Gas Pipeline, and Gas Distribution markets throughout North America. Founded in 1923, H&M brings yesterday's experience to the evolving infrastructure needs of today. We consistently rank in the top ten of Engineering News-Record's Specialty Contractors and have been recognized with an E.I. DuPont Safety Excellence Award for our safety performance. H&M is also a founding member of the ET&D Partnership, a collaborative industry partnership working to reduce fatalities, injuries, and illnesses in the electric line construction industry, is currently seeking a Field Engineer for its Telecom program in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The Field Engineer is responsible for the layout, tracking, utility locating, subcontractor administration, quality and progress reporting, mapping, and as-build records for assigned work areas.
The position will report to the Construction Manager. The position(s) is located at the Grand Rapids, Michaigan office. Assignment may include reporting to the engineering management team, project controls, and/ or quality assurance/quality control. Field Engineer's position range from experienced field engineers (level II) to entry level (I).
MAJOR JOB ELEMENTS
- Ensure field engineering activities comply with company and contract requirements and support overall construction schedule.
- Provide technical support for construction, including participation in construction planning.
- Coordinate with the engineering group to assure completeness and correctness of design and construction documents. Plan, conduct, and monitor work in accordance with engineering construction plans and specifications.
- Utilize field computer applications on laptop or notebooks to facilitate the control and collection of data for mapping (gps/gis/kmz/acad), inspection, quantity performance, schedule performance, and subcontract administration.
- Interface with on-site construction crews as required ensuring safety is maintained, quality of construction, adherence to overall project schedule, and tracking productivity goals.
- Update and maintain project documentation as required for Quality Control, job progress, and customer sign off.
- Participate in and perform safety audits; in addition to ensuring housekeeping, storage, and work practices are adhered to: Maintain all necessary records.
- Support the project manager in achieving financial results.
- Responsible to clearly identify issues requiring PM attention.
- Ensure assigned subcontractors activities are performed in accordance with the Purchase Order/ Contract.
- Responsible for ongoing communication and timely identification of issues to the PE/CPM, and pending or actual changes to the work performed and may impact costs, schedule, contract, or customer relationship.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Level II Field Engineers to have up to five years of construction field experience. Telecom or utility projects a plus.
- Level I Field Engineers may be entry level from an accredited engineering or technical program, or substitute related construction field experience.
- BA or BS Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technologies, or Construction Management preferred. Relevant project field experience may be substituted for education.
- Must have computer skills in MS. Office programs, field applications for surveying and data management a plus.
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job requirements, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. Please read the following requirements for background investigation prior to considering employment at Henkels & McCoy.
- I-9 Employment Verification
- Drug Test
- Motor Vehicle Driving Records
- Criminal History
- Sex Offender Register
- Terrorist Watch List
- Credit History
- Employment History
- Background Check
- Education Verification
- International Background Check (If required)
Henkels & McCoy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.