Director of Construction - Multifamily
Location: Seattle, WA
Summary of Position:
Provide leadership for all on-site personnel and to manage all aspects of the pre-construction and construction of each assigned project. Director of Construction is responsible for supervising all on-site construction and land development, including budget, scheduling, quality assurance and safety on the job site and to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and relevant building codes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pre-development input of construction techniques and cost.
- Establishment of all final construction documents, schedules, and budgets.
- Manage options list and provide coordination and accurate pricing of each.
- Oversight on a day to day of all on-site construction activities.
- Completion and close-out of the project and the acceptance of each project by the Owner.
- Address the warranty issues and complete final documentation.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly reports on project progress.
- Review and approve entire subcontractor’s and supplier’s pay request.
- Analyze job costs and manage the project to the closing budget.
- Evaluate performance of project team members.
- Select subcontractors and compose scopes of work for contracts.
- Provide oversight for value engineering for all predevelopment projects.
- Responsible for individual projects from start to finish.
- Ensure project and subs are in compliance with company safety standards.
- Promote safety on assigned projects and evaluate subcontractor’s work to monitor compliance with company safety standards.
- Help Project Managers resolve issues on project level.
- Provide construction input to design professionals.
- Resolve subcontractor disputes.
- Assist Safety Director by representing the Company on OSHA inspections when necessary.
- Provide Safety Director with reports on projects when necessary.
- Provide assistance to Vice President in all legal matters related to assigned projects.
- Directly supervise the activities of the Project Manager.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in construction management or related study or a minimum of 15 years of experience as a Manager of Multi-Family Garden, Wrap and Mid-rise construction
- Established Trade Relationships in Arizona.
- Must have excellent communication, organization, management, and people skills
- Competent in Word and Excel
- Sage (Timberline) competency a plus
Equipment to be used:
- Tape measure
- Construction level
- Various other construction related tools used to determine and/or verify trade associates work conforms to industry and company standards.
- Must have the ability to operate an automobile. Must have a valid state approved driver’s license. Must be able to furnish a vehicle for their use during the workday.
- Company to provide the Director of Construction with office related equipment.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Must be able to drive a car or truck.
- Must be able to lift 60 pounds.
- Must be able to climb stairs.
- Must work in a construction environment under all weather conditions.
- Maintain a professional appearance.
- Must be able to read volumes of information.
- Requires the ability to work in excess of eight hours a day in the confined quarters of a construction trailer, the ability to operate a motor vehicle, read plans, climb stairs, climb ladders, bend, stoop, reach, lift, move and/or carry equipment which may be in excess of 50 pounds, occasionally operate construction equipment. Finger dexterity may be required to operate a computer keyboard & calculator.
Typical Mental Demands:
- Must be able to perform math calculations including some geometry.
- Must be able to analyze construction documents.
- Must be able to read blueprints.
- Must be able to deal with stressful situations:
- Customer Satisfaction
- Need to be able to apply deductive reasoning to problematic situations
- Must be able to communicate desired objectives to subcontractors, managers, consultants, associates, customers and other business-related professionals.
- Maintain a professional attitude.
- Work outside in all weather conditions.
- Must work evenings and/or weekends.
- Work around hazardous chemicals, dust, dirt, and other particulate.
- Required mobility around the job site either by walking or use of an automobile.
- Typical workday is 7:00 am to 5:00 p.m.
- Office and personal facilities provided at the job site that are usual and customary for the industry.
- Arrive to work on time
- Follow directions from a supervisor
- Interact will with co-workers
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Accept constructive criticism
This description outlines the basic responsibilities and requirements for the position noted. This is not a comprehensive listing of all job duties of the Associates. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.