Director of Purchasing
Location: Boise, ID
Name: Beth Schoenwetter
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Education/Certifications/Licenses
- Purchasing Strategy:
- Under the direction of division leadership will:
- Implement purchasing policy for the department and design action plans to achieve desired results
- Assist with establishing purchasing goals that support the business plan
- Identify improvement areas. Will recommend process improvements, and implement final solutions
- Builds strong relationships with internal departments such as: Sales, Marketing, Studio, Construction, Customer Service, and Daily Units Processing.
- Directs Cost Reduction:
- Partners with purchasing manager and operations managers to reduce direct costs.
- Maintains and reviews monthly direct cost budgets.
- Ensures that all necessary rebate data is compiled and submitted.
- Leads monthly calls with Corporate National Contracts for division
- Work with other managers to ensure all take-offs are performed correctly to ensure VC improvements
- Work with Purchasing Team to identify problem areas with take-offs and develop solutions
- Work with Purchasing Team to identify and implement Pathfinder cost saving initiatives
- Contract Administration/ Negotiations:
- Analyze trade and material proposals and negotiates all contracts to meet or exceed VC & operating gross margins
- Establish direct cost benchmarks for all existing and future product series
- Generate periodic market analysis to benchmark labor and material costs for optimization
- Review bid analyses for 'best in class' vendor and trade selection
- Maintain and update Scopes of Work for reference
- Work in conjunction with Purchasing Team to maintain all vendor/ trade contracts
- Review, approve and manage FPO tracker and FPO cost reduction initiatives
- Review, approve and manage CMF and Lot Start process
- Assist with recruiting a larger vendor and trade base to meet divisional objectives
- Communication & Reporting:
- Supervise material budget monthly and provide new budgets to senior management.
- Approve and assist with generating projected direct costs for future communities
- Ensure direct and option costs are completed for projected new communities.
- Reviews daily reports and provides status information to upper management (VC data).
- Conducts thorough analysis of standard reports to identify discrepancies and improvement areas.
- Work with CPA to resolve any unexplained variances; UBBC, OCR, OSR, and DCR reports
- EPG Management:
- Oversees all EPG data submittal for "as built" and "design" HERS ratings.
- Stays informed on all EPG related updates for implementation and compliance.
- Provide product information to the Purchasing team, Studio, Sales & Marketing teams.
- Provides implementation strategies.
- Oversee a staff of purchasing professionals
- Create a positive, motivating, challenging and harmonious work environment to promote productivity
- Build strong relationships with internal departments such as: Sales, Marketing, Construction, Studio, and Finance
- Conduct interviews and makes hiring decisions
- Evaluate employee performance, provide continual feedback, ensure completion of training
- Recommend and participate in development plans and corrective actions when needed
- Four-Year College Degree or equivalent experience
- Bachelor Degree in Architecture, Construction Management and/or Engineering is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- 10+ years of proven purchasing experience in residential homebuilding
- Demonstrated leader within residential homebuilding industry or related industry
- Demonstrated/ proven strong experience in handling major trades is a must.
- Understands market and industry trends
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities including motivating teams, employee development, and being results oriented
- Ability to connect with people, and develop and maintain professional relationships
- Action oriented, with the drive to push sales to successful closure
- Proven ability of being customer centric by seeking solutions from the customer's perspective
- Strong verbal & written communication, with the ability to take complex concepts and communicate accurately and persuasively
- Proven ability to lead and execute effective training sessions or conduct strong oral presentations
- Strong ability to work within a team-setting, inclusive of other's ideas, and a willingness to cooperate
- Makes quick and accurate decisions based heavily on facts, data and/or metrics -Proficient in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. C3 or JD Edwards database experience a plus!
- Work a minimum of 8-hour days with flexibility for additional work hours when necessary
- Conduct business in a professional and ethical manner to trade partners, and coworkers to reinforce goodwill and profitability for the company